Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Violent Expulsion of Grey Matter

Explosion!  Here's a fitting representation of what happened earlier:


So, what did I do?  I got impatient, and that made me stupid.  I had a brand new dropper bottle of Misty Grey paint.  I squeezed, and nothing came out.  I looked at the tip, and it looked clogged, so I put a wire through it.  I squeezed again, and still no paint.  I tried the wire again, then squeezed--no paint.

I was getting fed up.  I wanted to get this part ready for installation on the Falcon's cargo hold floor.  So I squeezed.  And I squeezed some more.  And some more.  And, finally, something gave.  Sadly, it wasn't the clog.  It was the dropper tip itself, which flew down onto my palette, quickly followed by the contents of the dropper bottle.

The force of the eruption was enough to send paint across the desk onto my keyboard, all over both of my forearms, and onto my brand new X-Wing shirt.  Luckily acrylic paint is water-based, and the grey matched the color of the short fairly well.  So into the washer it went.

After cleaning up, I realized that the paint also went all over the Falcon's cargo hold floor.  I started trying to clean it off, but it would just smear.  I tried using a wet paper towel, but it didn't do well at all.  I ended up having to resort to the simple green, which had the unfortunate side effect of also removing some of the oil paint form the floor.  So, I had to redo it.


In case you're wondering what the floor looked like with oil paint smeared all over it.  This isn't tonight's work, but the second application from the other night, which I finally pulled off my phone.  I also should mention that the lighting in my area sucks right now, so my pictures come out weird.  I haven't messed with balance or brightness and contrast with any of these tonight.  They look great on my phone, but not so much on the monitor here.  Still, I'm not showing much real detail work tonight.

Moving on, I've kept going with the cargo hold/living area, of course.  I've got the seating mostly assembled, but I'm still working with putty on the exposed seat backs:


The hold is almost complete.  After I finish this, I've got the cockpit to paint and assemble.  The chairs are not a great color, so I'm looking into completely redoing their paint jobs to make them look more worn.  I finally got the rear instruments label placed properly for the lighting effect, which I'll show off another time, as I've not got it hooked up anymore.

After that, I've got some corridor to work on, as well as some of the ship's frame, which I've yet to take pictures of.  I might get a shot of that for next time.  Then there's this sucker, which I need to work on:


I need to get a good color of spray paint for it (I need to find Tamiya Insignia White), and then I'll work on doing some carbon scoring on the barrels.  I'm also trying to figure out how to drill in the barrels to put some holes in them for a better look.  Unfortunately, my pin vise is for plastic and pewter minis and not hard die-cast metal.  To make matters worse, I can't keep it in the center, so the little divots I've taken so far are mostly off-center.  Luckily, they're small and would be completely engulfed by the final hole anyway.

I did make some progress in the hold, though.  I went ahead and started attaching walls and putting in everything but the seat and a wall that has an opening that I'm doing some paint work on.  So, I'm almost done with it.  Then I can start thinking about the decorations I want to put in there.  I might also buy that chair from Shapeways, which is the one that Han sat in to watch Luke play with the training drone in Star Wars.

In any case, it is well past time for bed.  Adieu.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home